What is a chemical peel?
A chemical peel is a technique used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck or hands. A chemical solution is applied to the skin that causes it to exfoliate and eventually peel off. The new, regenerated skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin. The new skin is also temporarily more sensitive to the sun.
When is a chemical peel appropriate?
Chemical peels are used to treat a number of conditions including:
- Acne scars
- Aging skin
- Crow's feet
- Sun damaged skin
- Sagging skin
Who is not a candidate for a chemical peel?
The procedure is not recommended for individuals with infections, active skin disease, cut or broken skin, sunburns or active Herpes simplex 1 sores. Other counter-indications include patients who are:
- Nursing or pregnant.
- Have taken Accutane in last six months.
- Have psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis or rosacea.
- Have used Retin-A, Renova, prescription skin care products, products that contain ascorbic acid, bleaching or skin-lightening agents or other acid-based products in the last 48 hours.
What are the complications or potential side effects of a chemical peel?
- Temporary or permanent change in skin color, particularly for women on birth control pills, who subsequently become pregnant or have a history of brownish facial discoloration.
- Reactivation of cold sore
Full Chemical Peel or Resurfacer?
ReGen Laser offers two types of chemical peels:
Resurfacers, our more mild peels are superficial treatments, meaning that they work on the very top layers of the epidermis and use enzymes and acids to refine and exfoliate. Resurfacers have generally little-to-no downtime.
Chemical Peels or full skin peels treat the top layers but also penetrate the mid to lower levels of the epidermis, delivering stronger, extended results. Because chemical peels are so active and deeply penetrating, peeling can occur for 7-10 days.
Ask an esthetician what is right for you.
Resurfacers by Dermaquest
Click on a resurfacer to learn more.
Great for acne and large pores.
Helps to correct pigmentation and hampers inflammation.
Exfoliates and evens skin tone.
Ideal for sensitized skin and skin conditions like rosacea.
Promotes collagen and elastin synthesis.
Full Peels by Dermaquest
Click on Peel for more info
Brightens skin and evens skin tone.
Great for managing acne and preventing breakouts.