What side effects should I expect from laser hair removal?
○ Immediately after treatment, there should be erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) of each hair follicle in the treatment site, which may last up to 2 hours, or longer. The erythema may last up to 2-3 days. The treated area may feel like a sunburn for a few hours after treatment. The appearance of perifollicular redness and swelling may be altered if a topical anesthetic is used, as the topical may cause blood vessels to constrict.
○ There is a small possibility of hives. This will go away and does not cause scarring.
○ Scarring is extremely rare, but please follow all post-treatment instructions to avoid any issues.
○ Pigment changes can occur, but usually go away in 1-6 months. If a darker spot occurs (hyper pigmentation) be careful to avoid sun exposure.
How should I prepare for my treatment?
○ Do not tan. Tanning or self tanners effects the laser settings and can reduce effectiveness. Also, tanning can cause blistering.
○ Please shave your hair the day before your appointment.
○ Do not pluck, bleach, use depilatories, or electrolysis at least 2 weeks before treatment.
○ Remove all makeup and lotion prior to treatment
○ For bikini line hair removal where light colored panties. Dark colors absorb the laser energy.